TIPS TO IMPROVE THE CONDITION OF OUR DOG IN SAN JUAN
From the hand of our ethologist Valentina mariotti, today we bring you some basic and essential tips to improve the anxiety, fear and stress of our animals during the festival of San Juan and the days before. They can also be applied in storm situations, a lot of noise or specific days where there are going to be critical moments for them.
1. Reduce the time of the walks and try to make them in the calmest hours of the day and less conflictive, such as first thing in the morning.
2. Extreme security with a collar martingale well adjusted and three point harness. The best straps crossed to the body, either waist or back, and reinforced if possible, with a double carabiner.
3. These days it is better not to let the dog loose during walks, or in safety zones such as a ''pipi can'' and even if they usually go to the call, since panic can make them jump walls.
4. Do not allow access to exterior spaces of the house: he could escape if he gets scared.
5. When they are home, leave them until they find their safe place. Once found, prepare a “safe” area where you can hide if you wish, along with cold water, your bed, an interactive toy, and background music to muffle extreme noise.
6. On the night of San Juan, it can help to close all the shutters and windows to reduce external environmental noise, although it must be said that the effectiveness of this measure is limited.
7. It is very important not to caress or comfort the animal if it shows fear, whimpers, pants, salivates or trembles, since we will be reinforcing that attitude and that does not interest us.
8. Perform relaxing massages and/or anti-stress bandages to relieve the tension accumulated in the dog's body.
Use complementary natural measures such as PHEROMONES AND NUTRACEUTICALS.
9. If we plan to alleviate the suffering with drugs, it is necessary to consult with the veterinarian so that he or she can carry out a physical examination of the animal and, depending on its condition, assess which will be the most appropriate medication for each situation.
If you are interested in viewing the video where Valentina tells and shows in detail how to perform the relaxing massages and the anti-stress bandage, you can find it on our Instagram @hospital_veterinari_mimans.